Monday, December 17, 2007

Another Day in Paradise

“Ek rupaye de do, gareeb ka pet bhaar jayega, kal se khana nahi khaya’, she said. She was a kid clad in rags and aged less than 10 years. I didn’t respond and after sometime she moved the next person. She kept trying until the traffic signal turned green but nobody gave her a single penny. The scene reminded me of the song “Another Day in Paradise”.

She calls out to the man on the street
sir, can you help me?
Its cold and I’ve nowhere to sleep,
Is there somewhere you can tell me?

He walks on, doesnt look back
He pretends he cant hear her
Starts to whistle as he crosses the street
Seems embarrassed to be there

Oh think twice, its another day for
You and me in paradise
Oh think twice, its just another day for you,
You and me in paradise

She calls out to the man on the street
He can see she’s been crying
She’s got blisters on the soles of her feet
Cant walk but she’s trying

Oh think twice...

Oh lord, is there nothing more anybody can do
Oh lord, there must be something you can say

You can tell from the lines on her face
You can see that shes been there
Probably been moved on from every place
’cos she didn’t fit in there

She was a bit disappointed but she came back to the pavement and started playing. After all, she was a kid. I went close to her. Asked if she wants to eat something. She didn’t speak; kept looking at me. Her eyes were filled with hope. I took her to the nearest eating joint. After we came out of the restaurant I bought her a bunch of roses. I asked her to give one flower to everyone who pays her money on the traffic signal and say, “dhanyavaad, Main Ishwar se prathna karoongi ki apka din aacha gujre”. I asked her to buy flowers again with the money she gets.

When I met her the next time, she was really happy. She told me that people gave her a lot of money. I asked her whether she bought the flowers again. She said, “Yes”. She gave me one flower and I returned the favor with a five rupee note. She said that she will not take money from me. But, asked her if she gets anything for free. I told her that she gets money from the people on the signal because she says nice words to them which, unfortunately, are rare in this world.

After a couple of weeks, I happened to pass through that road again. She recognized me and came running to me. “Dekho, ab maine phool bechne shuru kar die hain. Ek phool paanch rupaye ka”. I asked her if she would sell me a flower. She said,”Lekin apko 5 rupaye bhi dene padenge”. We both laughed. “Haan, haan jaroor.”

After a couple of months I could not find her on the signal. She got her lost self esteem back.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice post...accha msg hai...lets try

December 18, 2007 at 8:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just one world, Wonderful!

January 3, 2008 at 4:16 AM  
Blogger Shruti said...

Wonderful thought!
Did you actually do it?
If positive, that would be even nicer.
Pretty good proposition of educating poor childhood about ways to fight a dark future , a commonality in our nation.

January 19, 2008 at 6:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home